Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Bed Wars, the Bumbo, the Bite,and the Bliss of It All!

I'm jumping on board the blogging train. Why? Because I am horrible at writing in my kids' baby books, and I'm a faster typist than I am a writer. If I have any hope of remembering any of the funny (and not so funny) things that my kids do, I have got to figure out a way to make them permanent!
I'll start with introductions. My name is Corynn, and I'm a former schoolteacher. I taught 5th grade for 2 1/2 years, then quit when I got pregnant with my daughter. I loved teaching, but I love being with my kids more! I'm married to Ed, a physical therapist. We have 2 wonderful kids: Cambree, who is 2, and Griffin, who is almost 4 months.
This morning began with bed wars. Cambree decided she would get up at 6:00. Normally if she tried to get up this early, I would carry her back to her bed, but I was so tired that I just let her climb into bed with us. Ten minutes later, after much squirming and talking, I carried her back to her bed. Ten minutes later, she was back in our bedroom. I carried her back again. Then Ed's alarm went off. (Aside: our house does not have a master bathroom, so the bathroom door is across the hall from Cambree's bedroom.) He got up and went to go do his typical morning routine. I laid there, dozing back off, happy that Cambree was asleep again. Then the shower came on. Apparently Cambree was not in fact asleep and took the shower as her cue to get out of bed again. She sat in the bathroom and chatted with Ed while he showered. As soon as he stepped out, she said, "I'm hungry." If you've met my daughter, you know this is quite possibly her favorite phrase. I yelled (from the bed), "No, she's not! Bring her in here and put her in bed with me!" At this point, it's after 7. He carries her in, he leaves, she cries, I threaten her, and we both go to sleep around 7:30. Ahhhhh! Until 8, when Griffin woke up. I tried to ignore him. I lay there trying to decide if Cambree is more likely to sleep through him crying or me getting out of bed. He sounded pitiful, so I decided to feed him. As soon as I move, she's up, and our day has officially begun! (For those of you thinking I get to sleep awfully late, you're right. However, Griffin does not consistently sleep through the night, and I'm a much better mama when I've had enough sleep, so we all stay in bed as long as possible.)
The rest of the morning and afternoon were pretty typical. Suppertime actually went well. Griffin sat in his Bumbo on the table while we ate. Ed ate quickly so he could go mow the yard, and Cambree and I sat there with Griffin. For those of you who don't know, my son is not an average 4 month old. He weighs approximately 17 pounds. (He had a head start with a birth weight of 10 lb. 7 oz., in case you're wondering.) A 17 pound 4 month old is stronger than you would expect. He decided he did not want to sit in the Bumbo anymore. I decided to sit and watch to see if he could get out. Let's just say he didn't manage to get all the way out, but unfortunately the Bumbo is no longer a safe place for him to sit and watch what's going on while I'm busy :( I'm going to try the Exersaucer after we move. Hopefully he's big enough for it, because this boy wants to move!
After I pulled him out of his Bumbo, I laid him on the couch to watch Cambree while I cleaned up the kitchen. She sat on the couch with him, entertaining him like the great big sister she is. As I was washing dishes, I heard him start crying. Not the bored cry, the hungry cry, or the sleepy cry. This was the ouch cry. I come into the living room to find him laying there crying and Cambree sitting innocently beside him. I pick him up to comfort him and notice that his leg is red. Upon further examination, I see (  ) on his skin. You guessed it! Bite marks! I looked at Cambree, who for some reason had moved across the room away from us. I asked her if she bit him. Denial. I ask again. This time she admits it. I call her over and ask her why she bit him. Because... "I have bites on my leg." Mosquito bites. On her legs. So the rationalization of a 2 year old is that if she has bites on her legs, then obviously her brother needs a bite on his leg. At least she wasn't doing it out of meanness. Still, I hope this is the first and last time she bites anyone!
Well, there it is. One ordinary day as a stay at home mama to 2 kiddos. Nothing overly exciting, but something I think I'll like to look back on one day to see what it was like. And that's why I'm blogging. To remember the bliss of it all!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging! I started blogging b/c I had gotten really bad about writing in the baby books too and it is a great way for our friends/family who are spread all over the place to keep up with what is going on in our lives. And congrats on the house buying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! I love your blog and I"m SO glad to be your first comment. I'm excited to ready about your blissful life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corynn, So I should be in bed, but this was so fantastic reading this, and I actually had to try keep my laughter to a minimum considering my crew is sleeping! (You're ranking up there on the funny scale with The Office for me! That's pretty impressive I might add!) Thanks for the laugh seriously, it's such a great feeling! Can't wait for the next episode! :)

    ReplyDelete